The Anatomy of a the perfect page
• The title tag is the blue link on search engines, so make it enticing.
• This is how search engines identify your content, so include relevant keywords.
• Make it natural, compelling, and under 75 characters. URL
• Keywords should also be included in the URL.
• You can customize the URL within your blogging software.
BLOG POST TITLE
• The title is a promise to your reader.
• Be sure what you write is exactly what you promised in the title.
• Include important keywords.
• Sharing can greatly amplify your content.
• Include social sharing buttons near the top.
• Email is still a very popular way to share. Be sure to include this as an option. IMAGE
• Relevant, interesting, and informative images make a huge difference in the reading experience.
• Include important keywords in the file name and ALT text tags.
• Give credit to the image creator.
• Make the first few paragraphs short and easy to scan.
• Long paragraphs at the beginning are a sure fire way to discourage people from reading.
• Link out to other web pages for more in-depth information.
• Use anchor text instead of “click here.” It provides context to your reader. KEY POINT
• Make sure the key point focuses on the benefit to the reader.
• Keep it concise, and highlighted on its own line.
• If it sounds natural use keywords.
• Link to a page inside your domain, like a product or service page that solves the issue highlighted in the post.
• Use anchor text instead of “click here.” This improves SEO.
• Video adds richness and emotional appeal.
• Find a relevant video on YouTube and embed it. Give credit to its creator.
• Pit in rich snippets around the video to improve click-through rates.
TITLES & SUB-TITLES
• Allows readers to scan.
• It’s ok to have several titles and sub-titles.
• Format them in HTML as H1, H2, etc.
• Important for SEO, use keywords. CALL TO ACTION
• Always include a call to action graphic that directs the reader to do something.
• Link to a landing page that converts the reader into a lead.
LIKE & +1 BUTTONS
• Include these buttons on your post.
• These give further engagement value within social media. META DESCRIPTION
• Search engines use this as the descriptive text under the blue link.
• It’s no longer used for ranking or relevancy.
• Make it a concise 150 character summary that sells the post.
General Blogging Principals:
• Know who your audience is and write to them.
• Your goal is to get clicked on. Make your titles magnetic and captivating.
• Write for people first, search engines second.
• Get to the point.
• Use plain language.
• Showcase a conversational, yet professional tone.
• Let your post sit for a while before you publish it. When you come back to it, read it out loud and edit carefully.
The Four U’s of Business Blogging: Be USEFUL to the reader Provide a sense of URGENCY Convey the main idea as UNIQUE Do all of the above in an ULTRA SPECIFIC way